The National Housing Corporation (NHC) is a statutory body established by an Act of Parliament Cap. 117. The primary mandate of NHC is to play a principal role in the implementation of the Government’s Housing Policies and Programmes. The Corporation Board of Directors consists of the Principal Secretary State Department of Housing and Urban Development, Cabinet Secretary National Treasury and others appointed by the Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure, Housing and Urban Development.
The National Housing Corporation (NHC) has its origin in 1953 when the Colonial Government of Kenya created a Central Housing Board through the Housing Ordinance. The Board was the principal medium through which the colonial Government could promote the development of houses for Africans.
In 1959, the Board's activities were extended beyond the promotion of African housing in order to cater for Europeans and Asians. In 1965, the Board decided to undertake direct construction of dwelling in areas where Local Authorities were unable or unwilling to do so. In the same year through an amendment of Housing Ordinance of 1953, National Housing Corporation (NHC) was established thereby replacing the Central Housing Board.
The Corporation was mandated to continue the functions of the Board, with wider powers to promote low-cost houses, stimulate the building industry and encourage and assist housing research. The NHC became the Government's main agency through which public funds for low cost housing would be channeled to Local Authorities, and for providing the technical assistance needed by those authorities in the design and implementation of their housing schemes.
The Corporation has assisted Wananchi and County Government in building decent affordable houses through its various schemes such as Tenant Purchase, Outright Sale, Rural and Peri-Urban Housing Loans and Rental Housing.