The National Housing Corporation (NHC) is a statutory body established by an Act of Parliament Cap. 117 as was amended in 1967. The primary mandate of NHC is to play a principal role in the implemention of the Government’s Housing Polices and Programmes.
The Corporation Board of Directors consisting of the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Finance and others appointed by the Minister of Housing.
The National Housing Corporation (NHC) has its origins in 1953 when the Colonial Government of Kenya created a Central Housing Board through the Housing Ordinance. The Board was the principal medium through which the colonial Government could promote the development of houses for Africans. In 1959, the Board's activities were extended beyond the promotion of African housing in order to cater for Europeans and Asians. In 1965, the Board decided to undertake direct construction of dwelling in areas where Local Authorities were unable or unwilling to do so. In the same year through an amendment of Housing Ordinance of 1953, National Housing Corporation (NHC) was established thereby replacing the Central Housing Board.
The Corporation was mandated to continue the functions of the Board, with wider powers to promote low-cost houses, stimulate the building industry and encourage and assist housing research. The NHC became the Government's main agency through which public funds for low cost housing would be channeled to Local Authorities, and for providing the technical assistance needed by those authorities in the design and implementation of their housing schemes.
The Corporation has assisted Wananchi and Local Authorities in building decent affordable houses through its various schemes such as Tenant Purchase, Outright Sale, Rural and Peri-Urban Housing Loans and Rental Housing.